Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The land of the rising sun....my inspiration

Here are some gorgeous photographs that my hubby took on our recent trip to Japan

Nara - I could have sat here forever



Once a year the monks of the temple of 1000 lanterns in Nara go around lighting every single lantern for their festival -truly spectacular




Kiyomizu-dera - wow this temple was build on the side of a mountain, made from wood and was absolutely amazing!


So that got me thinking - after returning with a large amount of Kimonos and Obis which I could not stop buying at the fabulous markets we went to in Tokyo and having them fall out of the cupboard back home every time I opened it, I thought how can I turn these beautiful materials into something I could use. I didn't think walking down town in my Kimono and Getas would be the go so I came up with these.....


Lovely silver plated deep welled rings with a small piece of lovely silk inside - every one is different due to the Kimonos having such rich colours and unique designs - hence the name Bikkuri which means Surprise in Japanese. I currently sell these on etsy under the shop name isabellapoppi, I know your probably thinking this does not match. Unfortunately I created the name of the shop on Etsy before I found out you can't change it oops.



Then I thought what about hair slides - everyone has hair - what about earrings - everyone has ears and so it went on.



My next market will be at the Niche Designs Market Niche All Wrapped Up which is on the 2nd/3rd May 10am - 4pm at the Academy of Arts Gallery, UTAS, Inveresk - this is to raise money for St Giles .






































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment